1. They are associates or full members in good standing of the American Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club (ACKCSC) and/or the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club USA (CKCSC). These are the only Cavalier registration organizations I trust.
In order to become a club member, candidates must sign a code of ethics promising to adhere to sound breeding practices and conduct.A Quality breeder has a registered Affix. This means that all puppies bear the kennel's name on all registration papers. This willingness on the kennel's part to claim the puppies they have bred is a display of integrity and responsibility on the part of the breeder. All Evera True Cavalier puppies, are proudly registered with the Evera affix with BOTH the American Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club (ACKCSC) and/or the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club USA (CKCSC).If you are interested in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and, specifically, an Evera True dog, we encourage you to visit us. Come meet our dogs, we'll give you a tour of our home and puppies' environment so that you are comfortable with how our dogs are raised. Have a conversation with us about our breeding and health philosophies.
2. A Reputable Breeder will, upon request, provide you with written health clearances of both parents from veterinarians who are specialists their fields. Typical health clearances should include eye, hearts, hips and patellae as well as MRI screenings for the devastating neurological disorder, syringomyelia if there is a history of SM in puppy's pedigree. (However, we have been VERY careful to only bring dogs into our kennel that have no history of SM.) All puppies will also be current on all vaccinations and examined by a veterinarian prior to leaving our home. In addition to these strict testing policies, a reputable breeder will not breed a girl before the age of two and will never over-breed any female in their kennel. A reputable breeder will not breed a male before they have come of age and passed all available tests appropriate for that age.
3. A Reputable Breeder spends time engaging puppies in enrichment activities each day. Socializing puppies includes loving them and preparing them for their 'forever homes'. It also includes neurological stimulation, exposure to a wide variety of sounds, and more. As us about our philosophy, we'd love to share it with you.
4. Reputable Breeders are committed to the dogs they breed and consider them extensions of their family. That means we welcome back a dog that, for whatever reason, needs to be re-homed. 5. A Reputable and Ethical Breeder will charge between $2500 and $4500 for a pet-quality puppy, or $3,500 to $6,000 for a show quality puppy. This money helps to cover the myriad of expensive health clearances that are done on parent dogs annually. Reputable and Ethical Breeder will commonly require spay/neuter contracts on pet puppies.
6. A Reputable Breeder does not sell to pet stores or brokers, does not answer classified advertisements seeking puppies and does not respond to web advertisements for puppies. They NEVER offer to finance a puppy. They breed only one, possibly two breeds. This indicates their dedication to educating themselves to a particular breed and promoting the breed of that health.
THINGS YOU CAN DO TO ENSURE YOU ARE WORKING WITH A REPUTABLE BREEDER:
1. Contact the local chapters of the American Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club (ACKCSC) and the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club USA (CKCSC) and speak to the President, Vice-President, or committee chair of membership to check on the breeders standing within the club. For Evera, we are members in good standing with:- CKCSC National Club: http://www.ckcsc.org/- Cavaliers of the South Chapter of the CKCSC: http://cavaliersofthesouth.org/ - The Mid-Florida Chapter of the ACKCSC: http://www.mfckcsc.com/- The Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Club of North Florida Chapter of the ACKCSC: http://ckcscnf.com/
2. Don't take our word for it! Websites from sanctioned clubs will also have advice on choosing a reputable breeder. http://cavaliersofthesouth.org
We are committed to breeding quality, healthy Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. It is essential for us to follow the highest breeding standards in order to protect the health and well-being of our treasured Cavaliers. Whether you choose to bring an Evera Cavalier into your home, or another breeder, we encourage you to research your choice. A healthy puppy is a happy puppy. Doing your homework now could save you immeasurable heartache and thousands of dollars in unnecessary veterinarian bills.